Saatva is one of the most popular online mattress brands known for high-quality luxury mattresses at affordable prices.
The company offers two flagship mattress models – the classic Saatva mattress and the newer Saatva RX mattress.
Both combine the support of innerspring coils with the comfort of foam layers and are designed to provide an exceptional sleep experience.
This in-depth comparison article will examine all the essential features, performance factors, and sizing and pricing details of the Saatva Classic vs Saatva RX. We’ll highlight how the two mattresses are similar and different to help you determine which model may be better for your sleep needs and preferences.
Overview of Saatva Mattresses
Saatva first launched in 2010 as an online-only brand focused on producing luxury mattresses at a fraction of comparable in-store options. Their direct-to-consumer online sales model allows them to cut out middleman markups and pass the savings to customers.
The original Saatva Classic mattress combines dual layers of coil-on-coil innerspring construction with foam comfort layers. It was engineered to provide the responsive support of traditional innerspring mattresses and memory foam pressure relief.
The newer Saatva RX mattress launched in 2021 and features a therapeutic support core designed to promote healthy spinal alignment and relieve tension in the lower back. It has an upper layer of gel-infused memory foam for additional contouring.
Saatva mattress models are made in the USA with eco-friendly materials and components. They come with free white glove delivery service, which includes full setup in your bedroom and removal of your old mattress if desired. Let’s look at how the Saatva Classic and RX mattresses compare.
Saatva Classic Mattress Overview
Saatva classic mattress layers
- The Saatva Classic is a luxury hybrid innerspring mattress in three firmness levels: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm.
- It has a total height of 11.5” or 14.5”, depending on the model. The 14.5” option has a thicker support core.
- Key features include:
- Dual layers of coil-on-coil innerspring construction for responsiveness and bounce
- Lumbar zone technology with an added layer of coils in the center third to support the lower back
- Foam-encased edge support for more sleep surface and getting in and out of bed
- A layer of high-density foam beneath the coils for stability and to reduce motion transfer
- A plush Euro pillow top with an organic cotton cover provides cushioning comfort
- Antimicrobial treatment on the cover to inhibit bacteria growth
- The Saatva Classic offers excellent shoulder and hip pressure relief and responsive spinal alignment support. The dual coil layers provide a balance of contouring and bounce.
- The innerspring construction isolates motion very well, so you won’t disturb your sleep partner when changing positions or getting in and out of bed.
- The breathable organic cotton cover helps keep the mattress surface cooler. However, the Classic may sleep warm for some hot sleepers since it lacks advanced cooling components.
- High quality construction with durable materials means the Saatva Classic should last for 7-10 years or more with proper care.
- The Classic comes in split king and California king sizes, allowing couples to customize the firmness on each side of the bed.
- Pricing ranges from $887 to $2,296 for a queen size, depending on the model. Saatva often offers discounts of $200 or more.
Saatva RX Mattress Overview
Saatva RX mattress layers
- The Saatva RX is a luxury hybrid innerspring mattress with a medium firm feel. It comes in one universal comfort option designed to support all sleep positions.
- This mattress has a total height of 15”.
- Key features of the RX mattress include:
- A therapeutic support core with a layer of pocketed coils topped with a thin foam transition layer
- Gel-infused memory foam in the upper comfort layer contours to the body’s curves
- Zoned lumbar support with extra cushioning quilted into the center third of the mattress
- Foam encased edge support
- Organic cotton cover with antimicrobial treatment
- The Saatva RX offers excellent pressure relief in the shoulders and hips along with specialized support for the lower back from the therapeutic core and lumbar zone.
- The hybrid design isolates motion very well for undisturbed sleep when a partner moves.
- The memory foam layer provides some extra cradling and body hug compared to the Saatva Classic. However, it still has good responsiveness and bounce.
- Added airflow through the coil layers helps regulate temperature, but some hot sleepers may find the RX sleeps slightly warm.
- High density foams and durable coils give the RX mattress an expected lifespan of 7-10 years or more.
- It comes in split king and split California king sizes.
- The Saatva RX costs $1,695 for a queen size. Discounts of $200 or more are often available.
Direct Comparison of Features
Now that we’ve provided an overview of the Saatva Classic and RX mattresses let’s compare them side-by-side on key performance factors.
Firmness and Feel
- The Saatva Classic comes in three different firmness levels. The Plush Soft option has a softer, more cushioned feel that closely conforms to the body. This can work well for side sleepers who need pressure relief at the shoulders and hips.
- The Luxury Firm is an ideal medium feel that suits most sleepers. It balances contouring comfort with underlying support. This is a good choice for back and stomach sleepers.
- The Firm model is quite supportive with less sinkage. It keeps the spine aligned for back and stomach sleepers, and some heavier individuals.
- The RX mattress has a single medium firmness designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. It provides a balance of cushioning and support.
- The RX has more of a “hugging” feel from the memory foam comfort layer while the Classic responds and rebounds faster.
Pressure Relief and Support
- Both Saatva mattresses do an excellent job relieving pressure in the shoulders and hips while supporting the back thanks to their hybrid coil and foam designs.
- The zoned lumbar support in the RX provides a little extra lower back cushioning and support. This can benefit people with chronic back pain.
- The Plush Soft Classic allows more sinkage for pressure relief while the Firm Classic and RX give greater support. Choose based on your sleep position and weight.
- The innerspring coils and foam layers in both Saatva mattresses absorb movement very well.
- You won’t feel your sleep partner changing positions or getting in and out of bed.
- The Saatva Classic and RX perform equally well at isolating motion, making them ideal for couples.
- The Saatva Classic has good airflow through the coil layer which helps dissipate heat. But the foam comfort layers can retain some heat.
- The RX sleeps slightly warmer due to the added memory foam layer. But the coils still allow airflow.
- Both mattresses should work for most people, but some hot sleepers may find they sleep too warm. The Classic may be a bit better for those who overheat.
- Foam encased edges on both mattresses provide good edge support when sitting on or sleeping near the sides.
- The Saatva RX has slightly firmer edges that make it easier to get in and out of bed compared to the softer Classic models.
Durability and Lifespan
- With quality construction and materials, both the Classic and RX should last for 7-10 years or longer with proper care.
- The Saatva Classic may have a slight edge in lifespan thanks to the dual coil layers providing great resilience. But the RX also scores well for durability.
Sizes and Pricing
- Both models come in all standard mattress sizes, including Split King and split California king.
- The RX costs about $200-300 more than the comparable Classic model.
- Frequent Saatva discounts can lower prices substantially. Bundles with adjustable bases or other bedding save additional money.
Which Mattress Is Better For…
Now that we’ve directly compared the Saatva Classic and RX models let’s see how they stack up for different sleeper needs.
Different Sleeper Types
- Side sleepers often prefer a softer mattress that cushions the shoulders and hips. The Plush Soft Saatva Classic could work well for lightweight side sleepers who need more pressure relief.
- Back and stomach sleepers need more support for proper spinal alignment. The Luxury Firm or Firm Classic or the medium RX would be best for back and stomach sleeping.
- Combination sleepers need a balance of comfort and support. The Luxury Firm Classic or RX would suit most combo sleepers who change positions.
Sleepers with Back Pain
- The Saatva RX is the better choice for those with chronic back pain thanks to the therapeutic lumbar support core. It offers specialized support in the lower back region.
- The Saatva Classic with the Lumbar Zone option also does an excellent job keeping the spine aligned and supported. But the RX has added cushioning.
- The Saatva Classic would likely sleep cooler for those who tend to overheat at night. The coil layer allows more airflow while the RX may retain heat from the memory foam.
- If you sleep very hot, opt for the Classic. The RX can work for those who just sleep slightly warm.
- Both Saatva mattresses isolate motion extremely well, making either model a good choice for couples.
- The split king and split California king options allow couples to customize the firmness on each side of the bed with the Classic.
- The dual coil layers provide the durability and support needed for heavier weights.
- The Firm Saatva Classic or RX would be best for plus-size sleepers over 230lbs. The sturdy coils prevent sagging.
Adjustable Bed Bases
- Both mattresses are compatible with adjustable bases thanks to the flexible coils and foam.
- The Saatva Classic and RX flex well with the base articulations for customized positioning.
While the Saatva Classic and RX share many design features and benefits, the RX stands out for its enhanced lumbar support while the Classic is more affordable and better for hot sleepers.Here are some final recommendations:
- The Saatva Classic in Plush Soft is great for side sleepers on a budget. Combination and back sleepers would do well with the Luxury Firm.
- The Saatva RX excels at relieving lower back pain and suits most sleep positions. It has a closer conforming feel.
- Both models work for couples, but the RX may be easier to get in and out of.
- The Saatva Classic is the better overall value, but the RX is worth the upgrade for tailored back support.
Whichever you choose, you get high-end luxury comfort at direct-to-consumer savings. Try out these exceptional Saatva mattresses risk-free!
Q: Saatva Classic vs Saatva RX Mattress: Which Is Better for You?
A: Both the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress are high-quality mattresses, but the best one for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. The Saatva Classic is a luxury innerspring mattress that offers great support and comfort. It is available in different firmness options and is suitable for all sleep positions. On the other hand, the Saatva RX Mattress is specifically designed for those with back pain or spinal issues. It features advanced technology and customization options to provide targeted support and pressure relief. Ultimately, it’s important to consider your personal needs and preferences when choosing between the two.
Q: How do the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress differ?
A: The main difference between the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress is their intended use and target audience. The Saatva Classic is a versatile innerspring mattress that caters to a wide range of sleepers. It offers different firmness options, has excellent edge support, and provides a traditional mattress feel. On the other hand, the Saatva RX Mattress is specifically designed for individuals with back pain or spinal issues. It features a combination of memory foam and innerspring coils and offers customization options for personalized support.
Q: What are the key features of the Saatva Classic?
A: The Saatva Classic is known for its luxurious feel and exceptional support. Some key features of the Saatva Classic include: – Innerspring design with individually wrapped coils for targeted support and motion isolation. – Different firmness options to suit various sleep preferences. – Euro pillow top for added comfort and pressure relief. – Excellent edge support, allowing you to fully utilize the mattress surface. – Organic cotton cover and eco-friendly materials for a healthier sleep environment.
Q: What are the key features of the Saatva RX Mattress?
A: The Saatva RX Mattress is designed for individuals with back pain or spinal issues. Some key features of the Saatva RX Mattress include: – Advanced lumbar support technology to target and alleviate back pain. – Customizable support levels to suit individual needs. – Combination of memory foam and innerspring coils for optimal comfort and support. – Adjustable base compatibility for added customization and convenience. – Responsive and breathable materials for a comfortable sleep experience.
Q: Can you compare the mattress feel of the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress?
A: The mattress feel of the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress can differ depending on your preference. The Saatva Classic offers a more traditional innerspring feel with its responsive coil system and Euro pillow top. It provides a balanced combination of support and comfort. On the other hand, the Saatva RX Mattress, with its memory foam and innerspring coils, offers a contouring and pressure-relieving feel. It provides a slightly more plush and conforming sensation. Ultimately, your preference for mattress feel will depend on your personal comfort needs.
Q: Are the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress suitable for all sleep positions?
A: Yes, both the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress are suitable for all sleep positions. The Saatva Classic offers different firmness options, including plush, luxury firm, and firm, to accommodate various sleeping styles. It provides optimal support and comfort for back, side, and stomach sleepers. The Saatva RX Mattress, with its customizable support levels, can also cater to all sleep positions, ensuring proper spinal alignment and pressure relief.
Q: Do the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress have good edge support?
A: Yes, both the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress have excellent edge support. The Saatva Classic features a sturdy innerspring coil system and reinforced edges, allowing you to sleep comfortably and utilize the entire mattress surface. The Saatva RX Mattress also offers reliable edge support, ensuring stability and preventing sagging or roll-off.
Q: Does Saatva offer free mattress delivery?
A: Yes, Saatva offers free mattress delivery for both the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress. The mattresses are compressed, sealed, and delivered directly to your doorstep. The delivery team will also set up the mattress and remove the packaging, making it convenient for you.
Q: What are the price differences between the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress?
A: The price of the Saatva Classic and Saatva RX Mattress may vary depending on the size and options you choose. Generally, the Saatva RX Mattress is priced higher than the Saatva Classic due to its specialized features and customization options. It’s important to check the latest pricing on Saatva’s official website or consult with their customer support for accurate and up-to-date pricing information.
Q: How do I buy a Saatva mattress?
A: To buy a Saatva mattress, simply visit the official Saatva website and browse their mattress collection. Select the Saatva Classic or Saatva RX Mattress, choose the size and options that suit your preferences, and add it to your cart. Proceed to the checkout, provide the required information, and complete your purchase. Saatva offers a secure and straightforward online buying process, and their customer support is available to assist you if needed.
Mattress Buzz is reader supported. When you buy a product through our links we may earn an affiliate commission.